About this On Demand Course
The Microsoft on-demand product is an integrated on-line training experience that includes video, labs, exercises, text and knowledge checks. Attendees experience all of this through an on-demand course player.
- Access to the official Microsoft Video on Demand Course for 90 days from the point of first access, allowing you to start and stop when you need to.
- Lab access for 3 months from start of access.
- Digital edition of the Microsoft Official Curriculum (DMOC) manual for reference throughout your course. All DMOC come with fresh editions so your courseware will always be up to date.
- MCT Support via our Microsoft Training Support Yammer Group (you will be invited to the group after registration)
The content is based on the same official courseware we use in our instructor-led training, and videos feature engaging experts hand-selected by Microsoft. Unlike other on-demand offerings that offer simulated labs, MOC On-Demand gives you a live, real-time environment for hands-on training.
About this course
This course provides students with the knowledge and skills analyze data with Power BI.
The primary audience for this course is BI professionals who need to analyze data utilizing Power BI.
The secondary audiences for this course are technically proficient business users.
This course requires that you meet the following prerequisites:
Basic knowledge of the Microsoft Windows operating system and its core functionality.
Basic knowledge of data warehouse schema topology (including star and snowflake schemas).
Some exposure to basic programming concepts (such as looping and branching).
An awareness of key business priorities such as revenue, profitability, and financial accounting is desirable.
Familiarity with Microsoft Office applications – particularly Excel.
These prerequisites can be achieved by attending courses
20761A – Querying Data with Transact-SQL
20767A – Implementing a SQL Server Data Warehouse
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
Describe key features of a self-service BI solution
Describe Power BI and its data sources
Model, shape, and combine data
Describe Power BI data visualizations
Module 1: Introduction to Self-Service BI Solutions
In this module students will be introduced to the key concepts in business intelligence, data analysis, and data visualization. In addition they will learn the rationale for self-service BI, considerations for using self-service BI, and how Microsoft products can be used to implement a self-service BI solution.
- Introduction to business intelligence
- Introduction to data analysis
- Introduction to data visualization
- Overview of self-service BI
- Considerations of self-service BI
- Microsoft tools for self-service BI
Lab: Exploring an enterprise BI solution
Module 2: Introducing Power BI
This module introduces Power BI.
- Power BI
- The Power BI service
- Power BI mobile apps
Lab: Cresting a Power BI dashboard
Module 3: Power BI Data
This module describes Power BI data sources.
- Using Excel as a Power BI data source
- Using databases as a Power BI data source
- The Power BI service
Lab: Import data into Power BI
Module 4: Shaping and Combining Data
This module describes how to shape and combine data. Lessons
- Power BI desktop queries
- Shaping data
- Combining data
Lab: Shaping and combining data
Module 5: Modeling Data
This module describes how to model data in Power BI.
- DAX queries
- Calculations and measures
Lab: Modeling data
Module 6: Interactive Data Visualizations
This module describes Power BI visualizations.
- Creating Power BI reports
- Managing a Power BI solution
Lab: Creating a Power BI report