About this On Demand Course
The Microsoft on-demand product is an integrated on-line training experience that includes video, labs, exercises, text and knowledge checks. Attendees experience all of this through an on-demand course player.
- Access to the official Microsoft Video on Demand Course for 90 days from the point of first access, allowing you to start and stop when you need to.
- Lab access for 3 months from start of access.
- Digital edition of the Microsoft Official Curriculum (DMOC) manual for reference throughout your course. All DMOC come with fresh editions so your courseware will always be up to date.
- MCT Support via our Microsoft Training Support Yammer Group (you will be invited to the group after registration)
The content is based on the same official courseware we use in our instructor-led training, and videos feature engaging experts hand-selected by Microsoft. Unlike other on-demand offerings that offer simulated labs, MOC On-Demand gives you a live, real-time environment for hands-on training.
About this course
Get expert instruction and hands-on practice configuring and managing clients and devices by using Microsoft System Center v1511 Configuration Manager, Microsoft Intune, and their associated site systems. In this five-day course, you will learn day-to-day management tasks, including how to manage software, client health, hardware and software inventory, applications, and integration with Intune. You also will learn how to optimize System Center Endpoint Protection, manage compliance, and create management queries and reports. Additionally, this course, in conjunction with Microsoft Official Course 20695C, also helps certification candidates prepare for Exam 70-696: Managing Enterprise Devices and Apps.
Before attending this course, students must have working knowledge at the system-administrator level of the following:
- Networking fundamentals, including common networking protocols, topologies, hardware, media, routing, switching, and addressing.
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD DS) principles and fundamentals of AD DS management.
- Installation, configuration, and troubleshooting for Windows-based personal computers.
- Basic concepts of public key infrastructure (PKI) security.
- Basic understanding of scripting and Windows PowerShell syntax.
- Basic understanding of Windows Server roles and services.
- Basic understanding of the configuration options for iOS, Android, and Windows Mobile device platforms.
Students who attend this training can meet the prerequisites by obtaining equivalent knowledge and skills through hands-on activities, or by attending the following courses:
Course 20697-1: Installing and Configuring Windows 10
Course 20697-2: Deploying and Managing Windows 10 Using Enterprise Services
Course 20411: Administering Windows Server® 2012
This course is for experienced information technology (IT) professionals, typically described as Enterprise Desktop Administrators (EDAs). EDAs deploy, manage, and maintain PCs, devices, and applications across medium, large, and enterprise organizations. A significant portion of this audience uses, or intends to use, the latest release of Configuration Manager and Intune to manage and deploy PCs, devices, and applications. By using Configuration Manager with Intune, EDAs also can support either domain-joined or non-domain-joined Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) scenarios, mobile-device management, and secure data access on common operating-system platforms, such as Windows, Windows Phone, Apple iOS, and Android.
This course also is for individuals who are interested in taking exam 70-696: Managing Enterprise Devices and Apps.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
Describe the features Configuration Manager and Intune include, and explain how you can use these features to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
Prepare a management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery, and integrating mobile-device management with Microsoft Exchange Server.
Deploy and manage the Configuration Manager client.
Configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use Asset Intelligence and software metering.
Identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content used for deployments.
Distribute, deploy, and monitor applications for managed users and systems.
Maintain software updates for PCs that Configuration Manager manages.
Use Configuration Manager to implement Endpoint Protection.
Manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
Configure an operating-system deployment strategy by using Configuration Manager.
Manage mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune.
Manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site.
Module 1: Managing computers and mobile devices in the enterprise
This module describes the features that Configuration Manager and Intune include, and it details how you can use these solutions to manage PCs and mobile devices in an enterprise environment.
- Overview of systems management by using enterprise-management solutions
- Overview of the Configuration Manager architecture
- Overview of the Configuration Manager administrative tools
- Tools for monitoring and troubleshooting a Configuration Manager site
- Introduction to queries and reports
Lab: Exploring the Configuration Manager tools
- Searching in the Configuration Manager console
- Using Windows PowerShell with Configuration Manager
- Using Configuration Manager Service Manager to manage components
- Monitoring site and component status
- Reviewing log files by using the Configuration Manager Trace tool
Lab: Creating queries, and configuring Reporting Services
- Creating data queries
- Creating subselect queries
- Configuring a Reporting Services point
- Creating a report by using Report Builder
Module 2: Preparing the management infrastructure to support PCs and mobile devices
This module explains how to prepare the management infrastructure, including configuring boundaries, boundary groups, and resource discovery. Additionally it describes how Configuration Manager interacts with the Microsoft Exchange Server environment to discover and manage mobile devices.
- Configuring site boundaries and boundary groups
- Configuring resource discovery
- Configuring the Exchange Server Connector for mobile-device management
- Configuring user and device collections
Lab: Configuring boundaries and resource discovery
- Configuring boundaries and boundary groups
- Configuring Active Directory discovery methods
Lab: Configuring user and device collections
- Creating a device collection
- Creating a user collection
- Configuring a maintenance window
Module 3: Deploying and managing clients
This module explains the supported operating systems and devices, the software requirements, and the different methods for installing the Configuration Manager client. This module also describes some of the default and custom client settings that you can configure. After installing the client software, you can configure the client settings to perform routine management tasks.
- Overview of the Configuration Manager client
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client
- Configuring and monitoring client status
- Managing client settings in Configuration Manager
Lab: Deploying the Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager client software
- Preparing the site for client Installation
- Deploying the Configuration Manager client software by using client push installation
Lab: Configuring and monitoring client status
- Configuring and monitoring client health status
Lab: Managing Client Settings
- Configuring client settings
Module 4: Managing inventory for PCs and applications
This module describes the inventory collection process. Additionally, it details how to configure, manage, and monitor hardware and software inventory, and use the Asset Intelligence and software metering features.
- Overview of inventory collection
- Configuring hardware and software inventory
- Managing inventory collection
- Configuring software metering
- Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
Lab: Configuring and managing inventory collection
- Configuring and managing hardware inventory
Lab: Configuring software metering
- Configuring software metering
Lab: Configuring and managing Asset Intelligence
- Preparing the site for Asset Intelligence
- Configuring Asset Intelligence
- Monitoring license agreements by using Asset Intelligence
- Viewing Asset Intelligence reports
Module 5: Distributing and managing content used for deployments
This module explains how to identify and configure the most appropriate method to distribute and manage content that is used for deployments.
- Preparing the infrastructure for content management
- Distributing and managing content on distribution points
Lab: Distributing and managing content for deployments
- Installing a new distribution point
- Managing content distribution
Module 6: Deploying and managing applications
This module explains describes the methods for creating, deploying, and managing applications with Configuration Manager. Also it explains how to use the Software Center and the Application Catalog to install available applications and manage deployments on unconventional applications. In addition, it describes how to install Windows 10 apps and virtualized applications.
- Overview of application management
- Creating applications
- Deploying applications
- Managing applications
- Deploying virtual applications by using System Center Configuration Manager (optional)
- Deploying and managing Windows Store apps
Lab: Creating and deploying applications
- Installing and configuring the Application Catalog roles
- Creating applications with requirements
- Deploying applications
Lab: Managing application supersedence and removal
- Managing application supersedence
- Uninstalling the Excel Viewer application
Lab: Deploying virtual applications by using Configuration Manager (Optional)
- Configuring support for Microsoft Application Virtualization (App-V)
- Deploying virtual applications
Lab: Using Configuration Manager to deploy Windows Store apps
- Configuring support for sideloading Windows Store apps
- Configuring a Windows Store app
- Deploying Windows 10 apps to users
Module 7: Maintaining software updates for managed PCs
This module explains how to use the software updates feature in Configuration Manager to implement an end-to-end management process for the complex task of identifying, deploying, and monitoring software updates to your Configuration Manager clients.
- The software updates process
- Preparing a Configuration Manager site for software updates
- Managing software updates
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
- Monitoring and troubleshooting software updates
Lab: Configuring the site for software updates
- Configuring and synchronizing the software-update point
Lab: Deploying and managing software updates
- Determining software-update compliance
- Deploying software updates to clients
- Configuring automatic deployment rules
Module 8: Implementing Endpoint Protection for managed PCs
This module explains how to use Configuration Manager to implement Endpoint Protection.
- Overview of Endpoint Protection in Configuration Manager
- Configuring, deploying, and monitoring Endpoint Protection policies
Lab: Implementing Microsoft System Center Endpoint Protection
- Configuring the System Center Endpoint Protection point and client settings
- Configuring and deploying Endpoint Protection policies
- Monitoring Endpoint Protection
After completing this module, students will be able to:
- Configure Endpoint Protection to detect and remediate malware and security vulnerabilities.
- Configure, deploy, and manage Endpoint Protection policies.
Module 9: Managing compliance and secure data access
This module explains how to manage configuration items, baselines, and profiles to assess and configure compliance settings and data access for users and devices.
- Overview of compliance settings
- Configuring compliance settings
- Viewing compliance results
- Managing resource and data access
Lab: Managing compliance settings
- Managing configuration items and baselines
- Viewing compliance settings and reports
- Configuring remediation in compliance settings
- Using compliance information to create collections
Module 10: Managing operating-system deployments
This module explains how to use Configuration Manager to create a strategy for operating-system deployments.
- An overview of operating-system deployment
- Preparing a site for operating-system deployment
- Deploying an operating-system
Lab: Preparing a site for operating-system deployment
- Managing the site system roles used to support operating-system deployment
- Managing packages to support operating-system deployment
Lab: Deploying operating-system images for bare-metal installations
- Preparing the operating-system image
- Creating a task sequence to deploy an image
- Deploying an image
Module 11: Mobile device management using Configuration Manager and Microsoft Intune
This module explains how to manage mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune.
- Overview of mobile-device management
- Managing mobile devices with on-premises infrastructure
- Managing mobile devices by using Configuration Manager and Intune
- Managing settings and protecting data on mobile devices
- Deploying applications to mobile devices
Lab: Managing mobile devices with on-premises infrastructure
- Preparing Configuration Manager prerequisites for on-premises mobile-device management
- Enrolling and configuring a Windows Phone 10 mobile device
Module 12: Managing and maintaining a Configuration Manager site
This module explains how to use manage and maintain a Configuration Manager site. It describes role-based administration, Remote Tools, and the site maintenance tasks that you can manage by using Configuration Manager. Additionally it explains how to back up and recover a Configuration Manager site system.
- Configuring role-based administration
- Configuring remote tools
- Overview of Configuration Manager site maintenance
- Performing backup and recovery of a Configuration Manager site
Lab: Configuring role-based administration
- Configuring a new scope for Toronto administrators
- Configuring a new administrative user
Lab: Configuring Remote Tools
- Configuring the Remote Tools client settings and permissions
- Managing desktops by using Remote Control
Lab: Maintaining a Configuration Manager site
- Configuring maintenance tasks in Configuration Manager
- Configuring the site backup
- Backup Site Server task
- Recovering a site from a backup