About This Course
This hands-on training course builds your skills in installing, configuring, and performing common administrator tasks and end-user tasks with the VMware® Horizon Mirage™ software. This course is based on the Horizon Mirage 4.0 release.
Before attending this course, you should have the following knowledge:
- Using VMware vSphere® Client™ to view the state of virtual machines, datastores, and networks
- Opening a virtual machine console in VMware® vCenter Server™ and accessing the guest operating system Navigating Windows XP, Windows 7, and Windows Server 2008
- Experience with VMware® vSphere®
- Completion of VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage
- Install and configure Horizon Mirage components.
- Demonstrate how to navigate and use Horizon Mirage Management Console.
- Identify the process for deploying Horizon Mirage to endpoints.
- Explain the tasks for capturing and assigning base layers and application layers.
- Identify the tasks for performing a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration.
- Define the methods of performing desktop recovery.
- Recognize how to plan and perform a mass hardware migration.
- Discuss how to install and configure Horizon Mirage File Portal and how end users access their files.
Module 1: Course Introduction
Introductions and course logistics
Module 2: Introduction to Horizon Mirage
Explain how Horizon Mirage works
Describe how Horizon Mirage fits into the VMware end-user computing vision
Define the main Horizon Mirage use cases
Explain the main features and benefits of Horizon Mirage
Module 3: Horizon Mirage Components and Architecture
Identify the function of each of the Horizon Mirage solution components
Define the Horizon Mirage layers
Diagram the Horizon Mirage architecture
Module 4: Installing and Configuring Horizon Mirage
Recognize the operating system, software requirements, and hardware requirements for a successful deployment of Horizon Mirage
Examine the tasks for installing and configuring Horizon Mirage
Identify the process for deploying Horizon Mirage to endpoints
Module 5: Horizon Mirage Management Console
Recognize how to use the Mirage Management Console features to manage and monitor your Horizon Mirage system
Module 6: Base Layers and Application Layers
Recognize the best practices for creating and assigning Base Layers and Application Layers
Discuss how to create and assign Base Layers and Application Layers
Describe how to create a reference machine
Module 7: Migrating a Desktop from Windows XP to Windows 7
Recognize the steps needed to prepare your migration environment for a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration
Identify the steps for performing a Windows XP to Windows 7 migration
Explain how you can monitor the Windows XP to Windows 7 migration process
Discuss the ways you can troubleshoot a migration to Windows 7
Module 8: Using Horizon Mirage for Desktop Recovery and Maintenance
Explain the process for restoring desktop data to the current endpoint by using a CVD snapshot
Discuss how you can use the Disaster Recovery wizard to restore a desktop image to a replacement endpoint and to a new disk drive on the same endpoint
Module 9: Performing Hardware Migrations
Recognize the criteria for planning and performing a mass hardware migration
Describe the process for using the Hardware Migration wizard
Module 10: Common End-User Tasks and the Horizon Mirage File Portal
Describe how an end user performs a file-level restore and directory-level restore
Explain the process for configuring the File Portal
Describe how to access files using the File Portal
Who Should Attend
System administrators and system integrators responsible for deploying the Horizon Mirage system